Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oscars 2010

Our annual Oscar party was a great success! I am pretty sure I have the best guest list in all the land. My peeps really come through in their enthusiasm and imagination. This is not the easiest party in the world to host, so I need all the help I can get from my peeps.

The first Oscar party we threw was in 2002, one year after Bjork wore that crazy swan dress, remember? I wore an evening gown but created a swan apron out of fuzzy fabric and it cracked everyone up. That was when I got the idea of having guests dress like characters from one of the current movies. They could also dress as "seat fillers" in tuxes and evening gowns. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see the husbands all decked out in finery -- so rare in the life we live here in suburbia. I was Coco before Chanel but it was pretty dorky.

Oscar is a gold styrofoam wig head who plays a key role as centerpiece on the buffet. The year of The Aviator he wore a leather flight helmet, goggles, and a white scarf. Last year I found this crazy curly beige yarn and made The Wrestler's wig, with a white towel around his neck. Of course I forget to take photos; as the hostess I am pretty busy and just never seem to remember. We started collecting Hollywood memorabilia and now have a good supply of decorations. Also for The Aviator we lined up a dozen jars of apple juice around the TV but no one got it until the show was half over.

Last year was the first time we asked for pot luck additions. We created a prize category of how well the food matched a movie. The winner (by vote) was Benjamin Button Stuffed Mushrooms. My guests are just so creative!! Of course I made Vicky Christina Barcelona paella. This year we had three guests dressed as Julia Child (and one as Julie) and I made Julia's boef bourguignon. One guest, dressed in a business suit and dragging a rolling carry-on, made boxes of Up in the Airplane snacks, all packaged perfectly in individually wrapped cellophane bags, all hand-made by her. Amazing. Still, she didn't win the food category because another guest came up with Hurt Locker MRE brownie bombs!! She made these killer brownies and wrapped each one in a tinfoil packet with a PERFECT MRE label on the front!!! Amazing. We also had Up in the Airport pizza, Avatar blue jello salad, Crazy Heart enchiladas, and Basterds strudel. Are my guests great or what??

No comments:

Post a Comment