Sunday, November 15, 2009

Change

Writing down everything you eat is good. (You bite it-you write it, you drink it-you ink it). Lost 3.5 in the first week. Maybe all the chorizo, chocolate, croissants, butter, and everything else delicious isn't what a relatively inactive 57 year old woman should be eating. Ya think? This blog will NOT become a dieter's journal -- those are excruciating. But I will mention my progress from time to time.

I did burn a few calories my last time kayaking with my friend B. It was so warm, sunny, and placid that I was just thinking how much fun it would be to take the scull out, when within moments we were in the midst of a good old fashioned nor'easter! At least, that's what it felt like; the wind picked up so fiercely that the waves were breaking over our bows and we were getting soaked! Of course the wind was going against us, and no matter how hard we paddled, it felt like we would never reach shore. What had taken us about 5 minutes to do when we first went out, took us about 45 minutes to get back in. Wow. Growing up, I always knew the Atlantic could turn on a dime, but a little lake like Chatfield Reservoir? The other times the lake has gotten rough on me, there was a build-up of clouds and other warnings. This time, from glassy water to little ripples on the surface to white caps took less than two minutes. All still under a Colorado blue sky and bright sun. Live and learn. That was Thursday. Today, Sunday, we are looking at 8 inches of wet snow.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I'm a bit slow but I figured out that if I signed in to my Gmail account first, then I'd be able to post a comment here....

    1. I don't think you're "relatively inactive". Compared to the rest of the world, I think you're at least "moderately active". Tennis, rowing; what else that I don't know about?

    2. This "bite&write" thing may be similar to something I had success with many years ago (why haven't I done it since???): I used a small computer (what was it anyway, a smart calculator? - I don't remember) to act as a timer between bites. The pounds just floated away.... So has my memory.

    3. Very interesting about the sudden gale without warning from clouds. Could you have gone to other side and called to have Michael pick you up?? Or call me, and I'll come down and we can throw boat on top and bungee it on at least to get it over to your car.

    Good boating! Good tennis! Good eating.
    Will

    ReplyDelete