Sunday, September 6, 2009

Labor Day weekend

Most of what I have done on the water this weekend has been in kayaks due to the heavy traffic on the lake. My husband has rigged a rear-view mirror for my shell which I am dying to try out, but won't do it until Tuesday morning when all the holiday revelers are gone. The people I call "real rowers" don't need mirrors, but it will help with my confidence a lot.

Last summer I was in a single (owned by the club) when I rammed into a quad and poked a hole in the boat I was in. Not entirely my fault, as I have to turn around about 180 degrees and they only had to look sideways to see me, which they didn't do! Sitting on that lake, waiting for the coach to come pick me up, was uncomfortable; transferring my big duff from an incredibly skinny boat with a hole in it, onto her launch, was a nightmare of epic proportions. Why do I think I should be able to move like I did as a 10 year old in Marblehead Harbor?? I felt like the biggest klutz on earth, with five people watching me, the hull of the single filling with water as I lunged my way from one boat to the other. God it was embarassing -- far more embarassing than actually poking the hole to begin with!

No comments:

Post a Comment